Sunday, May 24, 2009

My take on the viral chart

I was checking out AdAge's viral chart and first off I must say I find it rather surprising that Vodafone's recent viral has done so well. I don't find them that compelling, and frankly their "voices" are very irritating...I just want to switch them off!



...really, is there anything that special about this series of virals? What it does have going for it is it's length - just long enough to tell a story without loosing interest.

Frito Lay's viral held my attention til the end - & this is obviously helped by my femininity as I am the target market for these clips.


One last observation is that being genuine works and we're wise to special effects making them - NOT funny, and when you're setting out to be entertaining via humour...you need to think again about treatment.

TMobile gets this.



Cadbury didn't



BUT (and this is a very big but) as regards creating buzz on the internet...in the form of various spoofs and takes, and viral "notoriety"...Cadbury's strategy is doing very well as you can see by the likes of this...



So when it comes to making virals, ideas that are bigger than the brands own execution and that inspire or provoke viral responses are a more effective way of generating buzz.

And by the way...Cadbury rocks with this piece of PR on the Saturday Night Project...(embedding was disabled but follow this link).

No comments:

Post a Comment